The Truth About Foot Orthotics

“Do I Need Orthotics?”

What is an orthotic and why would I need one? An orthotic is a device that is worn inside of a shoe that supports the arch of the foot and helps to place it in a biomechanically balanced position. Orthotics or orthoses are used for a variety of reasons, not just for foot and ankle problems, but some practitioners will prescribe them for knee, hip, and/or back ailments. The patients that benefit the most from orthotics are the ones that have the most unstable feet. This can be someone that has a flat foot who pronates (rolls their ankle inward) excessively during gait or someone that has a high arch that cannot find a shoe that provides enough support and therefore puts excessive stress on the midfoot joints and the ball of the foot. Many of the most common diagnoses seen in a podiatry practice are treated with orthotics. These include, but are not limited to:
1. Plantar Fasciitis
2. Tendonitis
3. Arthritis
4. Apophysitis/Sever’s Disease (Growth Plate Problems)
5. Ball of Foot Pain (Neuromas, Metatarsalgia)
6. Bunions and Hammertoes

Orthotics both treat these diagnoses and help to prevent or slow the progression of the deformity or painful condition. For example, orthotics will not get rid of a bony bump, such as a bunion, but they will place the foot in a better supported, balanced position which will slow or halt the bunion’s progression.

There are prefabricated orthotics and there are prescription custom orthotics. Both serve a purpose. A solid shell prefab device provides much more support than almost any shoe that is available and is great for someone with an average arch height and a foot that is pretty “normal”. A custom made device is made directly from imprints, casts, digital scans, etc. and is specific for that patient. These are better than prefab orthotics for this reason. Often times a patient will start in a prefab and improve, but may plateau. This is a time the fine-tuned custom devices will give that extra needed benefit. Most local insurance plans cover custom orthotics when they are deemed medically necessary.

At Westfield Foot and Ankle, LLC a digital gait scan is done of the patient's feet both in static(standing) and dynamic(walking)phases of gait. The majority of the information that is gleaned from this scanning comes from the dynamic portion, which tells us what the feet are doing during gait. The pressure distribution is clearly seen. Prior to the scan, a comprehensive examination of the feet is done to determine what modifications may be needed, such as posting to further reduce the amount of pronation or rolling in of the ankle while walking. Overpronation is the culprit in many foot and ankle pathologies. Orthotics prevent this.

To schedule an appointment with Dr. David Sullivan visit www.westfieldfoot.com or call Westfieldf Foot and Ankle at 317-896-6655.

7 comments:

  1. I'm 23 years old and have had foot problems for over 10 years. My calluses had become so bad that I no longer had feeling on the bottom of my foot. My ankles would swell at the end of the day and the ball of my foot would ware out a pair of new shoes within weeks. After years of begging my parents to get orthotics, I finally convinced them to take me. When I showed up at the doctor's office, he completely shut me down and told me I had nothing wrong with my feet other than high arches. In reality, the ball of my foot (on both feet) is about a centimeter or two lower to the ground than the outer portion of my feet causing me to turn my ankle outward when I walk and jump with my knees "bowed out" like a frog. When he fitted me for othotics he put my foot into the cast but did not correct the position of the foot while taking the cast. This caused the inside of my feet to be pushed up even more, making the problem worse. Not only did he make it worse, but he also made me look like a fool. After months of testing out different orthotics I finally decided to make my own. I went out and bought Dr. Scholl's over the counter orthotics and a couple packages of metatarsal gels pads. When I got home I sewed the gel pads to the outer part of the orthotics. These pads filled in the gap between the floor and the outer portion of my foot causing the outside of my foot to be even with the ball of my foot. During the first three weeks, my back hurt like hell however I was now standing up straight and had zero pain during the day and at night. The only time my back hurt was in the morning (a lot). It has been over a month and my back pain has completely vanished. My running motion has completely changed and it feels like I am running for the first time. The only problem I run into is that the gel pads rip out from the stitching (because they are GEL pads). If I were to sew cloth over the gel pads and onto the orthotics, this will probably solve the issue. I highly recommend this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to find an orthotics. Does anyone know where I can find something? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday we walk and run on our feet with little to no thought. Sometimes, it's this walking and running that gives us foot pain and cramps. Orthotics are inserts that you put inside your feet to help deal with feet problems. I would suggest going to a doctor if you are experiencing any of the problems listed above. http://www.scorthotic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your post, Nice post and great information... Thanks for sharing..

    physical therapy cork
    foot orthotics limerick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking For Orthotics Milton, Physiotherapist in Milton. James Snow Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Center is 7 days affordable Walk-in Clinic located in Milton near Brampton & Mississauga. For more details visite http://www.jamessnowphysio.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Have Severe Pain in Your Foot or Heel – While this may sound self-evident, numerous individuals maintain a strategic distance from foot torment. Rather, they accuse the torment for wearing high heels or awkward shoes. Foot or impact point torment, particularly toward the beginning of the day, is a typical indication of plantar fasciitis.

    Reach us on Plexusnc

    ReplyDelete